In today’s multimedia environment, activism and community service require a range of communication and media skills. As the YES alumni population continues to grow, so does their work and impact, and we believe it is crucial to share out stories to gain momentum for YES alumni projects and initiatives. That is why YES program is excited to announce the Digital Storytelling workshop in Dhaka, Bangladesh on October 2 - 7, 2018.
This four day long, hands-on workshop will enhance and expand YES alumni’s technical skills in video, photography, and social media. Three talented videographers will lead the workshop, giving participants a range of communication and media skills required for activism and community service. Participants will gain knowledge on how to utilize contemporary multimedia tools to document what is happening in their communities. Importantly, this workshop will go beyond documentation, and will teach YES alumni how to present their work to peers, community leaders and decision-makers to build awareness and share the impact of the YES alumni projects happening around the world.
- Create multimedia profiles of alumni group members;
- Work in teams to produce short films and multimedia blog posts about community leaders/alumni and their experiences with digital collaboration;
- Digitally distribute media through a variety of online platforms and outreach;
- Develop plans to share skills learned and continue digital networking/outreach.
- Capture impact of YES alumni projects and share with a wider audience.
- Successful completion of the YES program in or before 2017 (students returning from the program in 2018 are not eligible to apply).
- Demonstrated participation in alumni activities and community service.
- You must be from one of the following countries: Bangladesh, Bahrain, Egypt, Gaza, Ghana, India, Indonesia, Jordan, Kenya, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Malaysia, Morocco, Mozambique, Nigeria, Pakistan, Philippines, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Tanzania, Thailand, Tunisia, Turkey, West Bank, Yemen
- Must be available to attend the entire event (October 2 - 7; attendees are expected to arrive the morning of October 2nd and depart in the afternoon of October 7th);
- Must commit to training others in your community and promoting alumni leadership development upon returning home; at least one local training must be held within 4 months of returning from the workshop;
- Must create and submit at least one (1) digital storytelling product within four (4) months of returning from the workshop.
If you are selected, please note that all travel and accommodation expenses, including the cost of round-trip international travel, visa, accommodation and meals, are covered. However, you are responsible for any personal costs, such as souvenirs, snacks, or personal travel. You are responsible for submitting your own visa application. A letter of support for your visa will be issued, but we cannot guarantee that the visa will be granted. Please contact your YES country coordinator for any assistance.
Please download the application and send your completed application to your country coordinator by July 11, 2018 (dates may vary by country).
Questions? Please talk with your local country coordinator or email [email protected]