YES alumni, do you remember arriving in the United States for your orientation, excited to begin your YES year, but a little nervous too? You had so many questions, but luckily there were some YES alumni around to give answers.
Now you can help next year’s group of YES students during DC Orientations (DCO) by applying to be a DCO Alumni Instructor!
What is a DCO Alumni Instructor?
Your job as an alumni instructor will be:
- To assist the Orientation Teacher in preparing YES participants for their exchange experience;
- To plan orientation sessions together with the DC orientation team;
- To assist large groups of YES students during the arrival to and departure from the airport.
What are the duties of a DCO Alumni Instructor?
The typical duties of the alumni instructor include:
- Available to attend webinar in June/July 2019, attend the training conference in Washington, DC July 31 – August 5, and teach at four orientation cycles from August 6 through August 31;
- Learn the established goals and objectives of the YES program and its orientation materials;
- Become thoroughly familiar with assigned lesson plans;
- Co-teach orientation sessions with an American teacher;
- Assist orientation teachers by acting as a cross-cultural resource and role model for students;
- Conduct alumni-led sessions of the DC Orientation, as assigned;
- At all times, be a supportive listener and positive role model for students;
- Maintain program integrity at all times by enforcing organizational rules and regulations;
- Be involved in airport arrival and departure logistics for incoming and departing YES students.
Who can apply to be a DCO Alumni Instructor?
This opportunity is only available to YES alumni who successfully completed their program with no extensive on-program issues between 2014-2015, 2015-2016, and 2016-2017. Only alumni between the ages of 18 and 20 at the time of the orientation (August 2019) are eligible to apply.
Alumni from AFS-recruited countries are NOT eligible to apply. AFS-recruited countries include: Egypt, Ghana, India, Indonesia, Kenya, Malaysia, Mozambique, Philippines, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Thailand, and Turkey.
How to apply
Contact your YES country office to receive:
- A complete description of the DCO Alumni Instructor position;
- The Alumni Instructor Application and Essay Form
- The country-specific deadline
Please submit completed application forms and a copy of your passport face page to your YES country office!