American Councils for International Education will conduct two one-week Civic Education Workshops in February and March 2024 for current YES students. The Civic Education Workshop is a unique opportunity for YES students to gain hands-on experience with U.S. organizations committed to community service and social change. Students will take part in a series of events and activities designed to increase their knowledge of U.S. government and build their capacities and commitment to community service when they return to their own countries. Participants will also see first-hand the institutions of American government, including visits to Members of Congress and the State Department.
American Councils will invite three outstanding YES alumni (six alumni total) to Washington, DC to take part in one of the two workshops as mentors to current YES students and to serve as ambassadors of the YES program.
Workshop 1: February 23 to March 2, 2024.
Workshop 2: March 15 to 23, 2024.
Preference will be given to more senior alumni who:
1) Can readily make clear connections between their current successes/accomplishments and their experiences as a YES exchange student and/or as an alum.
2) Demonstrate a consistent commitment to community service for the betterment of their home countries.
3) Hold leadership roles in their chosen professional field.
- Applicants must be from the 2019-2020 cohort or more senior (i.e., alumni who completed the program within the last three years are ineligible at this time)
- Alumni must be currently residing in a YES country (preferably their home country; but applicants living in another YES country, making a significant positive impact on that YES country and alumni community, may be considered)
Transportation to and from the U.S., visa fees, accommodation in a double room with another alumnus/a of the same gender, meals, and travel medical insurance will be provided by American Councils.
Interested alumni should contact their local YES office for an application and deadline (application deadlines vary from country to country).
Dates above are inclusive of arrival and departure days. Alumni are given the opportunity to indicate their preferred workshop week on the application form. Alumni are also given the opportunity to visit their host family/friends from their exchange year, adding one additional U.S. destination onto their flight itinerary after the workshop.